Terms & Conditions
Acceptance of Terms
Almanis asserts that its design and operating methods are not subject to regulation as either a securities or gaming exchange in the UK, EU, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. Almanis stakes competitive rewards in return for the most accurate information and insightful comments about future events from forecasters. Gaming, securities and prediction markets all use a market mechanism in order to establish a clearing price between buyers and sellers. However the key incentives to achieve those outputs, in real money exchanges can differ:
- gaming : monetises recreational utility for gamblers where exchange signals simply reflect the prevailing clearance price and the exchange takes a percentage of the players’ stake
- securities : monetises trading and hedging by investors, hedgers, arbitrageurs and speculators where exchange signals simply reflect the prevailing clearance price and the exchange takes a percentage of the traders value traded
- information : forecasts the likelihood of future events and monetises those signals while paying real money performance incentives to accurate forecasters and forecasters do not stake their claims
Unlike gaming and securities exchanges, the purpose of Almanis is to generate forecast signals and narratives that in turn improve judgement and decision making. It does not use player stakes. The fundamental economic incentive of a trader staked prediction market (other than a research platform) is not to provide forecasts but to extract money from forecasters:
- Forecasters’ stakes fund the market.
- The market’s operators take a percentage.
- Generally, a minority of skilled forecasters dominate a pool of unskilled forecasters. Because of the player stakes, the result is an ongoing subsidy from the majority of players to a small minority.
Because of these features, whether the forecast involves chance or skill, in a trader staked prediction market, the underlying character is that of gambling. This is recognized in the sporting arena where professional gamblers are usually banned from participating, or operators reserve such rights. At best, trader staked prediction markets derive forecasts in a parasitic relationship with forecasters. Almanis seeks opinion, not money, from its forecasters. The relationship between forecaster and Almanis is mutualistic. Forecasters who help contribute to the generation of accurate forecast signals or important insights are rewarded on the basis of their skill in forecasting without the need for their financial risk capital.
Registration Data and Account Security
In consideration of your use of the Service, you agree to (a) provide accurate, current and complete information about you as may be prompted by any registration forms on the Service (“Registration Data”); (b) maintain the security of your password and identification; (c) maintain and promptly update the Registration Data, and any other information you provide to the Company, to keep it accurate, current and complete; and (d) be fully responsible for all use of your account and for any actions that take place using your account.
Almanis, its affiliates and partners, shall have no liability for investment or other decisions based upon any Content and/or decisions based upon a contrarian view of any Content. The Content is to be used for informational and entertainment purposes only and we cannot provide investment advice for any individual. We advise that you contact your personal financial advisers before making any investment related to any information received from the Site. Almanis, its affiliates and partners specifically disclaim any and all liability or loss arising out of any action taken in reliance on Content, including but not limited to market value or other loss on the sale or purchase of any company, property, product, service, security, instrument, or any other matter.
User Content Posted on the Service
Access to the Service
Almanis grants you a limited, revocable, nonexclusive license to access and use the Service and the Content for your own personal use. This license does not include any collection, aggregation, copying, duplication, display or derivative use of the Service nor any use of data mining, robots, spiders, or similar data gathering and extraction tools for any purpose unless expressly permitted by Almanis in writing. A limited exception is provided to general purpose internet search engines and non-commercial public archives that use such tools to gather information for the sole purpose of displaying hyperlinks to the Service. In order to collect, aggregate, copy, duplicate, display or make derivative use of the Service or any Content made available via the Service for other purposes (including commercial purposes) not stated herein, you must first obtain a written license from Almanis.
The Service is protected to the maximum extent permitted by copyright laws and international treaties. Content displayed on or through the Service is protected by copyright as a collective work and/or compilation, pursuant to copyrights laws, and international conventions. Any reproduction, modification, creation of derivative works from or redistribution of the Service or the collective work, and/or copying or reproducing the Content or any portion thereof to any other server or location for non-personal use is prohibited without the express written consent of Almanis.
Almanis and other Company graphics, logos, designs, page headers, button icons, scripts and service names are registered trademarks, trademarks or trade dress of the Company in the Australia and/or other countries. The Company’s trademarks and trade dress may not be used, including as part of trademarks and/or as part of domain names, in connection with any product or service in any manner that is likely to cause confusion and may not be copied, imitated, or used, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the Company.
You understand that except for advertising programs offered by us on the Service, the Service is available for your personal use only. You represent, warrant and agree that no User Content of any kind posted through your account or otherwise shared by you on or through the Service will violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other personal or proprietary rights; be in violation of any law or used in furtherance of any such violation; or contain libelous, defamatory or otherwise unlawful material. In addition, you agree not to use the Service to:
- in any unlawful manner or in any other manner that could damage, disable, overburden or impair the Service;
post or otherwise make available any content that we deem to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent yourself, your age or your affiliation with any person or entity;
- post or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation;
- post or otherwise make publicly available on the Service any private information of any third party, including addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, Social Security numbers and credit card numbers;
- post or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- post or otherwise make available content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law;
- create or operate more than one user account. Participation on the Site is strictly personal;
- collude with another user or users for the purposes of manipulating the award, transfer or use of points;
- use or attempt to use another’s account, service or system without authorization from the Company, or create a false identity on the Service;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any information transmitted by you;
- post or otherwise make available any information that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements); or
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including, but not limited to, regulations promulgated by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, the UK Financial Conduct Authority and the UK Prudential Regulatory Authority, the Canadian Securities Administrators Organisation, any rules of any national or other securities exchange, including, without limitation, the New York Stock Exchange, the American Stock Exchange, the NASDAQ, the Australian Stock Exchange, the London Stock Exchange, the Toronto Stock Exchange and any regulations having the force of law.
If you are deemed an ‘Insider’ by your employer or by a regulatory authority and have limitations on trading stocks, equities, shares or other financial instruments you should consider those same limitations apply to using the Site. In using the Site you warrant that you are not acting in your capacity as an insider.
User Performance Rewards
Monetary payments for user forecasting performance shall be awarded at the Company’s sole discretion and may be altered or removed at anytime for any reason or no reason at all. The Company may choose to exclude certain Users or groups of Users from eligibility to receive performance rewards at its own discretion with or without reason, including local laws.
The Company, its affiliates, and partners are not responsible or liable in any manner for any Content posted on the Service, whether posted or caused by Users, by Almanis, by third parties or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Service. Although we provide rules for User conduct and postings, we do not control and are not responsible for what Users post, transmit or share on the Service and are not responsible for any inaccurate, offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful or otherwise objectionable Content you may encounter on the Service. The Company, its affiliates and partners are not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any User.
The Service may be temporarily unavailable from time to time for maintenance or other reasons. The Company assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, User Content. The Company is not responsible for any technical malfunction or other problems of any telephone network or service, computer systems, servers or providers, computer or mobile phone equipment, or software on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any site or with respect to the Service or combination thereof, including injury or damage to User’s or to any other person’s computer, mobile phone, or other hardware or software, related to or resulting from using or downloading Content in connection with the Web and/or in connection with the Service. Under no circumstances will the Company be responsible for any loss or damage, including any loss or damage to any User Content or personal injury or death, resulting from anyone’s use of the Service or any posted on or through the Service or transmitted to or by Users, or any interactions between Users, whether online or offline.
The Service may provide information from or links to certain brokerage companies for your convenience only. Almanis is not a registered broker-dealer and does not endorse or recommend the services of any brokerage company. The brokerage company you select (and not Almanis) is solely responsible for its services to you.
Almanis, ITS AFFILIATES, AND PARTNERS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR COSTS OF ANY TYPE ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES OF ANY BROKERAGE COMPANY.
THE SERVICE AND THE CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS-IS” AND THE COMPANY, ITS PARTNERS AND AFFILIATES, DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE COMPANY CANNOT GUARANTEE AND DOES NOT PROMISE ANY SPECIFIC RESULTS FROM USE OF THE SERVICE. THE COMPANY DOES NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT SOFTWARE, CONTENT OR MATERIALS ON THE SERVICE OR ELSEWHERE ARE ACCURATE, COMPLETE, RELIABLE, CURRENT OR ERROR-FREE OR THAT THE SERVICE OR ANY OF THE SERVERS USED TO OPERATE THE SERVICE ARE FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS. THEREFORE, YOU SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION IN THE USE AND DOWNLOADING OF ANY CONTENT OR MATERIALS AND USE INDUSTRY-RECOGNIZED SOFTWARE TO DETECT AND DISINFECT VIRUSES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE OBTAIN CONTENT, DATA OR OTHER MATERIAL FROM OR THROUGH THE SERVICE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR USE THEREOF AND ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR MOBILE DEVICE OR COMPUTER SYSTEM, LOSS OF DATA OR OTHER HARM OF ANY KIND THAT MAY RESULT.
The Company reserves the right to change any and all Content, software and other items used or contained in the Service at any time without notice. Reference to any products, services, processes or other information, by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, supplier or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof, or any affiliation therewith, by the Company.
Limitation on Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL THE COMPANY, ITS AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, MEMBERS, MANAGERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PERSON FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST DATA ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE, OR ANY OF THE CONTENT OR OTHER MATERIALS ON, ACCESSED THROUGH OR DOWNLOADED FROM THE SERVICE, EVEN IF THE COMPANY OR ITS AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, MEMBERS, MANAGERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES OR AGENTS IS AWARE OR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY CONTAINED HEREIN, THE LIABILITY OF THE COMPANY AND ITS AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, MEMBERS, MANAGERS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS TO YOU FOR ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, AND REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF THE ACTION, WILL AT ALL TIMES BE LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT PAID, IF ANY, BY YOU TO THE COMPANY FOR THE SERVICE IN THE IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING TWELVE MONTHS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT IF NO FEES ARE PAID TO THE COMPANY FOR THE SERVICE, YOU SHALL BE LIMITED TO INJUNCTIVE RELIEF ONLY, UNLESS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW, AND SHALL NOT BE ENTITLED TO DAMAGES OF ANY KIND FROM THE COMPANY, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION.
CERTAIN JURISDICTION LAWS DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES. IF THESE LAWS APPLY TO YOU, SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE DISCLAIMERS, EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU, AND YOU MAY HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS.
The Company may terminate your account, delete your profile and any User Content that you have posted on the Service and/or prohibit you from using or accessing the Service for any reason, or no reason, at any time in its sole discretion, with or without notice, including if it believes that you are under 18.
Governing Law; Venue and Jurisdiction
Arbitration under this Agreement shall be conducted by the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration (the “ACICA”) under its rules (the “ACICA Rules”). The location of the arbitration and the allocation of costs and fees for such arbitration shall be determined in accordance with such ACICA Rules. The arbitrator’s award shall be binding and may be entered as a judgment in any court of competent jurisdiction.
You acknowledge and agree that any questions, comments, suggestions, ideas, feedback or other information about the Service (“Submissions”), provided by you to the Company are non-confidential and shall become the sole property of the Company. The Company shall own exclusive rights, including all intellectual property rights, and shall be entitled to the unrestricted use and dissemination of these Submissions for any purpose, commercial or otherwise, without acknowledgment or compensation to you.
No director, employee, agent or consultant of slowVoice and its subsidiaries, or their spouses, life partners, business partners or immediate family members, or the supplier of goods and services in connection with the Almanis site may be eligible for any part of the prize pool.